"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Saturday, December 11, 2010

When just enough is too much...

     google images


...when I was in college and taking courses to become a Health Unit Coordinator (loving called HUC's)one of the classes I took was Medical Transcription.  Talk about a foreign language!  The first reports that I had to transcribe were pathology and autopsy reports.  It was truly an eye opening experience.  We didn't spend enough time on that subject that I could get a job as a transcriptionist but I did learn just enough...just enough to be dangerous, just enough to be able to read a pathology report, just enough to know when to worry.

My pathology report has returned.

In an effort to keep my friends informed but not enough to invite contradiction, I will try to keep this brief.

My thyroid was removed approx. four weeks ago for suspicion of cancer.  It was revealed, upon biopsy and frozen section, that there were five cysts/nodules/areas of concern.  These were 100% papillary cancer and it is believed that it was all removed during the surgery.  BUT, and there always is one, this type of cancer has a tendency to spread and while it is not the most serious of cancers it is cancer none the less.

After the holidays, and hopefully before my sweet grand girl arrives,
I will be having high dose radiation treatments.  This involves a strict no iodine diet for two weeks, three days of radiation and eight days of isolation.  After several scans I will know whether or not any of those little cells have escaped and traveled on a little vacation some where in my body.  If so, they will be zapped and gone for ever or at lease twenty years whichever comes first for me.

Truthfully, I am not really looking forward to any of this and would rather not go through with the radiation.  There are many side effects and there is a chance that the radiation itself can cause cancer in my neck, jaw or mouth.  I have been struggling with whether or not to continue but I have come this far.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes (as a child) I was told I would not live to see 30...I am now happily 20+ years older,
that I would never be able to have children..I've had three.
that I would never see my grandchildren come into the world.  I have been fighting the odds for a long time and I refuse to turn back now.  So forward we go, with open eyes and an open heart. 

13 comments:

  1. Girl Girl...know this...

    You are in my prayers this very moment. I've seen God do many miracles in my life over the years. He healed me when I was 4, gave me children when I was barren, healed my son when he was 4 and healed our Miss K when she was 4...

    I'm glad the thyroid is OUT and I will continue to pray in Jesus' name that all is well. God always makes a way when there seems to be no way. Doesn't He?

    Your comments on my post about my precious Miss K made me cry. Truly...they did.

    Love to you~

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Jojo
    Oh girlfriend it was no accident that God had me riding the range to visit you .
    I am and will be in prayer for you .
    God did not bring you this far to not complete the work He has to do through you !
    You are here for a reason ,your life is woven into the fabric of many others not just for your own sake but for theirs to accomplish His will for others to see the hand of God.
    So know this God is a creator and a healer and well God is simply God :)
    May your December bring to you many unexpected blessings from the north,south ,east and west and from above .
    You are so amazing ,you are a walking miracle so keep walking and expecting good to happen.
    So many times we get side tracked with the things that might happen,could happen or will happen if .
    Well good can happen too !
    God bless you .
    Remember if you need anything let me know .
    e-mail me at tls8759@aol.com
    Big Texas size hugs to you .
    Until Next Time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  3. With God giving you continued strength and guidance, you're going to beat this Jojo. I pray for you every night and I believe you are going to be around for a LONG time sweet friend.

    I'm still so excited that soon a little precious angel is coming into your family...how glorious!!

    And I'm assuming you are all ready for Christmas, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jojo, It's hard to know what to do, isn't it? I'm so sorry that you have to do that radiation, but you have shown how courageous you are, and I have every confidence that the treatment will be successful. Who could blame you for NOT wanting to do it? Sometimes it feels as though the cure is worse than the illness, but I AM glad that you are going to go through with it. I love to hear how you have beaten so many other odds -- It's very inspiring to me. Perhaps that was God's plan? It's hard to say, only know that with God there are no coincidences. You are in my prayers, dear friend, and in my heart, as well. Stay strong and continue to take care of yourself! Eat lots of broccoli and spinach and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes too much knowledge is dangerous, but better to know, I think, than worry about the unknown.

    I need to make a blog prayer list. Praying for you, that the cancer will be gone!!! For good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, my friend, are very brave and you will be strong as you go through this treatment. I'm so glad you have shared so openly with us and you will be in my prayers, at the top of my prayer list. You've had amazing health obstacles in your life and you've beat them all. This is another roadblock that you have to get through. And you will.

    Big, big squeezy hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I popped over from Mary's Writing Nook and am adding my prayers to the others. I have a friend in Vancouver going through this as well. I know that your little GrandGirl will do alot to cheer you up!

    You and I are book swap partners through Mary's blog. I will completely understand if you want to pass, but I am happy to play along as well! My email address is: paulaniz67 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that the treatments will totally knock out any cancer and make you whole again! Enjoy the grand babies! I will pray that you will be well shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never stopped praying for you, since I met you online, and will never stop praying for you and that sweet family of yours. I love you Jojo, now and always friend!! One day we will meet each other.

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoJo, my gut feeling is that they got all the cancer. It's gone. Radiation is no picnic -- I have had it. It will burn, it will hurt, it will make you feel crappy. It will also give you reassurance that there are no more "stragglers" left.

    Life is a four-letter word. So is hope, and so is love, and so is cure...! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. For peace of mind Jojo I think you have made the best decision. You are obviously a strong woman and will get through this with the help of your 'gaggle of geese'.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you on the next leg of this battle, dear one. It won't be easy, but if anything were easy, you and I might actually be able to take a deep breath once in a while:) Your little grand girl needs you to teach her soooo many wonderful things. You are going to be the BEST grandma, JoJo!

    Lots of love and healing thoughts,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...