"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, December 3, 2010

All that glitters...

...is not gold, but sometimes is a shiny silvery thing. 

Over the last few weeks I have been trying my best to stick around home and not wander the streets of our little town looking for something to occupy my time, as in thrifting, coffee drinking, book reading, holiday shopping etc.  I have failed miserably.

The reason being that I am still recovering from surgery and am trying not to be around crowded stores with throngs of sick people.  Again, fail.   Lucky for me cough cough the pharmacy is right across the parking lot from the GW.  You simply can not go to one without checking into the other...right?

The GW was full of Christmas/Hanukkah decorations and trinkets today and I was able to find a few things to add to my decor, even though I haven't done one iota of decorating yet...







a Holly topiary, five small snow-globe ornaments, shiny silver ornaments, vintage red and silver ornaments and a small wreath...all for about $5.   Most of the items were in "grab bags" which I find completely intriguing.  You just never know what may be hiding in there...

today, my sweet surprise, in the bottom of the bag of ornaments, is the letters J-O-Y, with a small Dove attached.  I think I will find a place for that to hang year round, along with the H-O-P-E letters I found earlier.  In my mind it was meant to be.

Now, if I want to see my kitchen counter tops again, I really need to get my mantel and tree decorated.  Then, maybe, I'll share some pics...maybe. 

did you know that "thrifting" is not a word, according to spell check!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful...! Hope and joy. Yes, I think they are yours in abundance this year, JoJo...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on my counters today. They seem to accumulate a whole lot faster than I can clean them off.

    Love your ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that blue... remonded me i got a new tree last year and all new ribbons and ornaments... now to figure out where a tree a crib and 19 month old and new born will all fin into my house... hummmmm I can do this... i think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would be just like you - having to at least browse. I'm so glad to see you are feeling up and going out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have such a with decorating that I can't wait to see your final pix!

    Hope and joy should be around all year. I may copy your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jojo I definitely think it was meant to be! And it should hang out year round.
    You make me laugh! When you point out the the Drug Store is nearby, so what can it hurt to shop a little, when you should be home healing. I am so you, on that one!lol!
    How can a girl stay down when there are treasures to be found?
    big hug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get well soon!
    I'm fighting a bug, too, that I caught at the BIL's over Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thrifting is not a word? Seriously. It's a way of life...a verb...the only way to go. Ridiculous.

    Beautiful items and agree the joy and hope were a special message from God :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'eve Jojo ~ You made out with your lovely purchases didn't you? Dying to see your decor when you get it done. It is going to be gorgeous!

    Hope you are doing better ...
    Pop over for our giveaway, my friend.

    Merry Christmas, visit our giveaways~
    Have a beautiful weekend ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lord girl you had surgery and NOW your galavanting around? Well your reference to the pharmacy close by is pretty funny and you DID get some beautiful new items. Decorate and show us everything. Come on you know us inquiring minds want to know, especially with bait like that!! Get well sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jojo, the partners for the book swap have been announced. You have Melanie. Please drop me an email at malward2002[at]yahoo.ca and I will provide you with her name and mailing address.

    I also need your mailing address so I can forward it to Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's against the law to be near a GW and not go into it. Same for Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul. I need to find you Believe and send it to you. And nope, not any Christmas decor here. And not sure there will be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What does spellchecker know?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We should all be so blessed to find J-O-Y at the bottom of our bag. Such inspiration. Thanks Jojo. Take care and enjoy all those pretties. : D

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice Jojo. Love those Joy-birds as well....yes would look good anytime of year. You have a great eye.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jojo you are a gal after my own heart out thrifting so soon after surgery! Really pretty finds and I love that you found J-O-Y attached to the dove at the bottom of your ornament bag. I believe that it was specially meant for you. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great find!! I love the letters with the doves too. Your idea of keeping it out all year round is a good one. Especially this year.

    Enjoy your time off Jojo. get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. May you...even now...as I write this to you in April, keep on thrifting for hope and joy.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...