"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, September 30, 2010

What September taught me...

...I always enjoy taking a look back at the month, seeing where I have gone and where I am going on this life journey.


we picked apples today

September is teaching me patience;
I think, more than any other month, September is the one where you can see the seasons change.  It's subtle, watching as the sun moves slowly away from us and the afternoons and evenings getting shorter.  Seeing the flowers slowly loose their vigor and silently retreat into the earth to await the awakening season of Spring.  The leaves turning from their lovely greens to stunning golds and reds only to drop to the ground, their job done for the year.  It, to me, is the most magical of seasons.

lots and lots of apples
September has taught me that I can survive a summer without sunshine!  I have learned that I can make and keep even the smallest of promises.  It has taught me that balance is highly over-rated (an upcoming post), and that being in the middle is as confusing now as it was when I was growing up the middle child (another upcoming post).


gravenstein and jonagold
September has taught me to "shop the house," to be more frugal now than at any other time in my life.  It has taught me that waiting for my first grand-baby-girl is a joy beyond anything I have ever imagined.

and honey crisp
Most of all September has taught me Gratitude.  I strive every day to live a life of Grace and Gratitude, to be kind and forgiving with a heart full of Mercy.  This month has been full of extreme emotion with highs and lows of great worry mixed with overflowing joy.  And through it all I have turned to you, my bloggy friends, and you held me up.  You've given me strength and hope that I can beat this cancer, I know whatever lies ahead that you will be there to support me...thank you!

AND I learned that I could finish the 30 day challenge and still love blogging!  Phewwww...see y'all in a few.  

What did September teach you?

18 comments:

  1. ~*Wow such an incredible heartfelt post..im speechless..Im so sorry to hear you are battling cancer..you will be in my prayers~my aunt is battling stage 4 colon,stomach lining,ovarian cancer..just breaks my heart :(. I hope to meet you at Bellas~*Hugs and prayers for your health, Rachel~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being thankful for what I have.
    *Hugs*
    Have a blessed day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesomeness... it has been a wonderful month:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said ! What exactly are honey crisp apples? never heard of them - I'm a Gala girl myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post to end our challenge and so very well written! Peaceful...

    We can thank Helen for this and would you like to come with me to go wring her neck? LOL Just kidding....

    I've enjoyed it and look forward to October!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. October will bring new trials and tribulations, as well, and continued friendships, thoughts and many many prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. September taught me the importance of family. With the season changing from one thing to another, I can see the same happens within the family...we are all changing.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jojo:

    Wonderful post. Just beautiful. Thank-you for your thoughts.

    I just learned about your C-Challenge. I have you in my prayers Joanne. I know with your "awakeness"you will find the gift in this and make use of the whole experience.

    I love you.

    Kelee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so proud of you JoJo! I knew you could do it! You are an inspiration to me!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sweetie, you definitely do it with grace and gratitude! I loved every word of this post. I hope you are taking good care of yourself.
    I know that I could not have survived a Summer with no sun, and that is why I live where it never rains.hehe!
    hugs to you sweet friend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! I certainly hope September feels the love! :)

    I love September. I was born in it. And it's just such a pretty month. I'm just not feelin' the poeticness for myself today. HA! :)

    Always, always, always here for ya. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post. I am feeling very whiny today and am sitting on the pity pot. And then I come here and read what you have written and tell myself to just knock it off, attitude is half or maybe more than half of the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JoJo I love this beautiful post and honey you have such a lovely way of writing from the heart.
    I am really upset tonight that I did not know until this minute what you are going through with yourself and MIL.
    Please forgive me for not being around and sending you positive thoughts. I will make it up to you starting now.
    Remember what that Warden told me when he found out about my cancer. Keep your head up and always think positive because God loves you and so do all of us out here in blog land.
    Darn that word Cancer. As you know my brother Gary has throat cancer so honey I lift both of you up in prayer. Take care of yourself and please don't over do it
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thought provoking post and I think that's a nice habit to look back at the month to take stock of what has happened and how it's changed you. September is my birthday month and also the beginning of my favorite season. It's taught me to savor the blessing of another year spent in my beloved home state if I look back on when I first returned 7 years ago. Thanks very much for that thoughtful post Jojo. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were a middle child, too? Wow...it made me what I am today...the good and bad. ha. :)

    balance is over rated...now that is interesting. I'm going to think on that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those apples look good enough to eat. :-)

    JoJo, a good friend of mine had thyroid cancer, and she was completely cured. Cancer is probably the most horrible word in the English language, but cancer survival statistics are going up so much, and in Canada the survival rate for thyroid cancer is almost 100%. I think it's the same in the U.S. as well.

    You are going to sail through this challenge with grace and dignity.

    Cancer? Schmancer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Checking in. Praying for you this morning. Thinking about you and wondering how you are doing, feeling.

    Big Squeezy Hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't believe this. we don't know each other- but we've bumped heads at debs place a few times! i just stumbled in by way of google reader ! by total coincidence-- blogworld is a small world for sure. your blog was on a list of suggested subscriptions! (you should be flattered!) i liked the 'lead in, and came to read the rest. and here i am. i was really surprised to see who you are. and that you are a friend of one of my besties!
    love your blog-- hope you don't mind if i come back
    also it's wonderful news about your recovery! keep fightin.
    happy october to you!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...