"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sick day Luuuucy...



...I was born and raised in a strict Catholic family. We went to catechism on Wednesday, ate fish on Friday, and went to Mass on Sunday. We also went to the social after Mass and ate donuts and drank fruit punch. We woke every morning to our mother singing "rise and shine," and we wanted to scream. We shopped twice a year for clothes and shoes and wore saddle shoes to school. We ate cottage cheese and brown sugar sandwiches and loved it. We played card games and board games and always kept track of who had won last. We bowled. We went on vacation every year and didn't have a clue how lucky we were. I took baton lessons. We went out for Hamburgers once a month on payday. We did chores every Saturday morning. We spent hours at the library. We lined up according to height every Christmas morning and the shortest person always got to go first. The shortest person was always the youngest person...we were seventeen years apart. I never went first. We played "Queen for the Day," and got new pajamas every birthday. We prayed at every meal, at bedtime, and in every natural disaster. We prayed and cried when the President was shot. We rode our bicycles until dark only stopping to dodge tumble weeds. We ran around the yard with sparklers when there were days of celebrations. We ate three squares a day and had desert on Sunday. We watched "Laugh In" and the "Friday Night Fights." We drank Tab. We lined up on Saturday mornings to have our hair washed in the big sink. We had a dog named Queenie. And on sick days from school we made a fort in the living room, ate dry toast and drank hot tea, and watched "I Love Lucy".......



May you find the Blessing of ordinary miracles today...xo

11 comments:

  1. You bring me back to when my mother was alive at 5, 6, 7 & 8 years old. You could have been my sister from a different mother I swear. Beautiful memories as many of them I share with you. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a charming way of being a positive person. I hope that life brings you less pain and more happiness because you try so hard to look on good things.
    I admire your outlook and I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me smile. I had a similar simple childhood. This was sweet and I wish I could go back....

    This challenge either brings out our creativity or accentuates our ruts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my sister... except for the cottage cheese and brown sugar sandwiches. And Catholicism. I had plain sugar and butter sandwiches and was raised in the Methodist church. We went to church twice on Sundays and Wednesday evenings was choir practice. We were spread out over seventeen years but we all attacked our Christmas presents at once. It was the best mom and dad could do with us... especially the last two of us kids, me and my baby brother. We always prayed and still do before our meals and I think I was glued to the television when Pres. Kennedy was shot, whether out of terror or fear or curiosity. Oh and we drank Coca Cola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have no idea how much alike our lives were Jojo. I could almost smell my childhood home reading this beautiful post! Weren't we blessed? I tried hard to give my children all the same things too. Well except the Tab. LOL! I'm a Coke lover myself.
    I loved your message that you left for me. You know I adore you! Landon is great, and thank you for asking.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to comment the other day when I read this, but didn't have time.....EVERYTHING you mentioned in this post described my life to a "T" except for the strict Catholic family and cottage cheese and brown sugar, but otherwise totally the same. I miss those days!!! And I agree with Laura ~Peach~: I too wish that life was still so good!! I LOVE your posts!! It is like you are talking to me personally! Thanks for bringing me back to some GREAT memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think I just lost my last comment!!
    I loved reading your post!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, was raised Catholic and so much of this post really hits home with me. Isn't it amazing that the simple routines of our childhood are the ones that are the best memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very similar to my own childhood. I am #6 in a family of 6! Simple pleasures back then were wonderful and made everyone so happy!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...