"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Secret Garden...


...I remember giving this book to my daughter when she was a little one and the hours we spent reading it together, spellbound, is one of my favorite memories.

I have always dreamed of having my own secret garden, I suppose we all have,  or at lease a proper English garden would do.  I don't believe it to be an unreasonable dream especially since our weather is much like that of Merry ol' England!

Fourteen, a few years ago, after moving into this house I attempted to keep the dream alive.  The north side of the house is quite shady and damp due to lack of light, the grass doesn't grow, and for the life of me I have been unable to find anything that wants to thrive over there.  It is also the only place in our yard that gets a slight breeze in the summer, when summer shows up. 

About two years ago I asked my dear hubs to help me decide on what to do with this dreary space.  Sitting over there in a lawn chair on a hot day along with the garbage can and air-conditioning unit was not cutting it for me.  I looked through magazines~, tearing out pages upon pages in anticipation of my own special place.  Within a few weeks the hubs had built this amazing deck. 



 It solved all our problems with the damp, boring grass, and elevated our lawn chairs to a more suitable height.  It also became a place to put potted plants...lots of them, and hanging baskets, and all sorts of old, chippy, rusty yard art.



I am hoping that with a little research this winter, that next spring I will be planting some shade loving flowers, annuals and perennials, and maybe I will someday have a special, quiet, secret place to read.

day 6 of the 30 day challenge~ xo~mama pajama


10 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the deck we spend hours each day and night on either the front or back porches... iprefer the front at night as it is way higher and i feel safe when the coyote and foxes and deer and owls and possums and other assorted critters come through the yard... and the back for fish watching water listening hubby chatting baby playing... :)
    and i love the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very nice. You have done very well making a pretty place of an area that would not grow anything. Love it! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh, that is absolutely wonderful...! I love it.

    Impatiens like the shade, and you can get lots of lovely bright colored impatiens and mix and match them. Believe it or not, geraniums will do well in shade too, and bright red geraniums in clay pots will give the feeling of sunshine in a shady spot. You could line the pots all along the edge of the deck, and it will look beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! What a perfect retreat and I love the special touches. Surround ourselves with things we love.

    I went to Lowe's today in search of something to plant in a shady moist area! I ended up buying white Gardenias and I have no clue about them at all...just wanted something that stays green all year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the deck is beautiful!! I love your ideas.. I can hardly wait to see more pictures. I have NO talent when it comes to landscaping or interior design either for that matter. I bow to those of you who do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH...I love it...wish I could sit out there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love JoJo the space you have outside. It looks so inviting..wish I lived close enough to share it with you...lol
    Have you tried Hostas...I had them in my yard in town in a spot where I could get nothing to grow.
    I wish I had them out here.
    I have to catch up with u while I am here.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jojo,
    I came over to see what you have been up to and saw that you have had some plumbing problems lately. That is always such a drag. I hope everything is back to running as it should be. One thing I hate being with out is water. I can do with out power (for awhile) but not water.
    I love your deck!!! I love the special pieces you have out there. It is like having a whole other room. I imagine that you have already tried hostas and astillbes. I don't have damp shade here, so I don't know what to offer. Can you believe that we got down to 33 degrees last night??? Now that's too cold too soon for me!
    I love the book and the movie The Secret Garden...and yes I have always dreamt of a little secret garden too.
    Love and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful JoJo. Cant wait till spring to see all you do with this!
    <><

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...