"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, August 12, 2010

It isn't you...well, yeah, it is...but not in that way...


...are you feeling a little rejected, disrepected, neglected?  Well, believe me when I tell you that it isn't you, it's me.  I've been happily drinking in all the wonderful summer sunshine while it lasts and, you know around here, that it won't last long.  Thus the lack of posts.

I read an article recently, really I shamelessly stole it from MPM, that I found very interesting with regards to gal pals.  I wanted to share part of it with you with the hopes that you will take a moment and share it with your favorite gal pals.

On this, my birthday, a huge hug and thank you to all my gal pals for holding me up, giving me strength, making me laugh, and getting me through to another birthday.  Love you all:

here we go:

She wrote............ I just finished taking an evening class at Stanford. The last lecture was on the mind-body connection--the relationship between stress and disease. The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends.
At first everyone laughed, but he was serious.
Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically this quality girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin--a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well being. Women share feelings whereas men often form relationships around activities. They rarely sit down with a buddy and talk about how they feel. Women do it all the time. We share from our souls with our sisters, and evidently that is very good for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.

There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged--not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking! So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health!
We are indeed very very lucky.
So let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! Happy BIRTHday TO YOU!! & may God bless you!, sweet Jojo!

    Love your photos from yesterday, you did beautiful.

    There is nothing like the true deep love & friendship of another ... when it is sincerely from the heart. I have been so blessed by some lovely women before & during blogging. For you & them, I am thankful ...

    May your day be filled with sweet joys & love, Jojo.

    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day today.

    I couldn't agree more with the study and opinions. Of course we gals have known that all along, haven't we? My gal pals get me through everything.

    I think we would live even longer if the men in our lives wouldn't drive us crazy sometimes....hehe

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to my sweet Jojo!!!
    What a great post! I know that a day with my friends leaves me feeling so refreshed and full of satisfaction. I think it is a must. I just wish I did it more often. With differing schedules and jobs and non-jobs, it's difficult to get together. Maybe if we all knew how important it is for our health, we would try harder.

    Have a special day dear friend!
    Big Birthday hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday my dear Gal pal, my wishful sister, and good good friend. I hope that you had a splendid day. I hope that you got a piece of cake,(doc told me cake on our birthdays is ok)and anything your heart desired. You are not only sweet because of having diabetic blood, you are sweet because of who you are!! ILY!!

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful that we have the same birthday even if I am a ton older. I hope you have a SUPER HAPPY one. Thanks for the sweet birthday wishes.

    I do agree that friendships are far more important that most people think and that they do keep us young, in tune with the world, and give us purpose. The Lord has so blessed me with wonderful friendships in person and here in blogland. They are all so special and so precious. Thanks for your friendship, I really do cherish it. Have a SUPER FANTASTIC EXTRAORDINARY SQUEALLY FUN BIRTHDAY. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better late than never...I happy birthday-ed you on FB but wanted to make sure I wished you a Blog Happy Birthday. I would sing to you but I'll spare you...

    When you said you were drinking i I just knew you were going to say iced tea and I'm so thirsty at the moment but too lazy to go downstairs and get something so I'll steal a drink of my husband's ice water and crawl into bed. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, JoJo...!

    And yes, having friends is very nurturing, and I treasure my friends for that very reason.

    I hope you had a wonderful day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, Happy Birthday! August 12 is a special day in our family, too!! My husband's brother and wife celebrate their Anniversary and another brother has his birthday on August 12, also! Hope your day was VERY special!!! I haven't been very good at posting at all lately, but hope to get back to it after the beginning rush of school. I LOVE reading your posts, so please don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your birthday celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning JoJo.....Happy birthday to you. Hope you have a wonderful day on this most special of days.

    You are so right about the girlfriend thing, Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that this is the beginning of a wonderful year Jojo.
    I love what you said about our women friends,& I believe every word of it. I went into a six month "decline" when my BF moved away!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...