"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, July 16, 2010

Bulls eye...(you'll get it in the end)



We live in a semi-rural/farming area, about ten minutes out of the nearest town and about 1 1/2 hours from the big city. Being in this type of setting is a little odd for a city girl but odd in an interesting sort of way. We have all kinds of little critters, creatures, etc. around here. We are bordered on the east side by a working Christmas tree farm, which is loads of fun in the off season because there are lots of trails that lead to the river about 1/2 mile away. On the west side we are bordered by an apple tree farm and rhubarb. To my north is a University of Washington test farm which is always growing some sort of interesting tree or grass. And to the south....well to the south, about 30 miles, is a volcano. O.K., not your usual surroundings. Anyway, suffice it to say it's not unusual to see deer, squirrels, rabbits, or the dreaded Opossum wandering up and down the streets/yards. The Opossum certainly has to be one of God's most interesting, if not ridiculously ugly creatures. They love this warm weather and it appears to be baby season because they nightly taunt my dog, Gracie, by walking along the top of our fences. Have you ever seen an Opossum walk??? It's quite strange as they tend to lumber rather than "walk." They are slow movers as well, and basically......well, not too bright. Being scared will actually put them in a temporary coma, which may be a good way of coping, I haven't tried it yet.

So, as I said, Gracie and the Opossum population are not the BFF's. She'll chase them up a tree and bark incessantly until I literally drag her into the house. Imagine my surprise when, sitting on my back porch, in the lovely sunshine, minding my own business, she came around from the side yard with a huge Opossum in her mouth. Did I mention they are nocturnal and this was the middle of the day? Well, hell she scared the crap out of me (no I didn't go into a coma) and she seemed a little surprised herself! She dropped said Opossum at my feet and me being a girl and all screamed that little scared girl scream. (You know what I'm talking about, don't deny it.) Apparently in my oh crap, screamy girl mode I could think of nothing better to do than throw a bucket over the thing and wait for my husband to get home from work.

Fast forward: about 4 hours later and remember the Opossum is trapped under a bucket and has been "cooking" in the afternoon sun for quite some time. Baseball nut arrives home and I tell him there's something on the back porch waiting for him, under the bucket, and it'll be quite smelly and such. He went out and lifted the bucket only to come face to face with a wide-awake, screaming, snarling, hissing, large Opossum. (I honestly thought the thing was dead when I threw the bucket over it). I have never seen someone simultaneously move so fast, yell out several "colorful" words, scoop up the Opossum in the bucket, and toss it over the fence into a nearby ditch, with such ease and fluidity as I did then. I guess that is where the term " playing Opossum" comes from.

And just for fun, a little known fact for all you ladies out there~~~
Female Opossums have thirteen nipples, twelve of them are in a circle and one is in the middle, kinda like a bulls-eye. And no, I didn't check, I read it somewhere.


Linking up with Java follow Friday...check it out!

7 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the over 40 Friday hop to say hello!

    Have a great Friday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/what-could-you-possibly-learn-from-me-in-this-profilebuilding-friendship-one-blog-hop-at-a-time/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful post!!!!!

    I was thinking I needed to move to your area until I read about the critters. I'm okay now just reading about the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, this was a funny post. Probably not for you while it was happening...but what a hoot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Nice to meet You!

    I'm visiting via Follow Friday 40 and Over and am your newest Follower :)

    ~ Jill
    http://frugalplus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jojo, after just reading Maggie's write of hystericalness, I come to you ... roflol! what a stitch you are! I'd have been LONG gone, forget the bucket.

    I can picture all of this. We caught one once to take to school for show & tell ... dh had to do it, it was a really nasty varmit!

    Have a great weekend, sweet friend.
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Over 40 to follow and say hello. I thought I was brave when I put a glass over a mouse to wait for hubby..still gives me the creeps..you are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Lord girlfriend I never dreamed I would be laughing this hard so early in the day. You are even funnier than Alan. lol
    I have not tried that temporary coma thing either but I can tell you one thing if that ever happened to me I would of first wet my pants or the other and ran down the rode like hell and found my baseball husband.
    How in the heck you ever thought of putting a bucket over it is the funny thing...your poor husband lifting it...good gosh its a wonder your not in divorce court today. lol
    Miss you honey
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...