"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, June 4, 2010

NOLA on my mind~~

~~whenever I think of New Orleans I have an image of Fleur de lis, the beautiful stylized lily (fleur=flower, lis=lily) that has been around for centuries. It has many connotations from religious to political, coat of arms to military dress. 

In 2008 Bobby Jindal, the governor of Louisana, passed a law making the Fleur de lis the official symbol of Louisana.  After hurricaine Katrina the Fleur de lis became a symbol of support for New Orleans.
In honor of New Orleans, Louisana and the entire Gulf~~~

believe it or not
this is a cake!









In 2007 the Art Council of New Orleans and the Fore!Kids Foundation teamed up with 40 local artists for the first public arts project since Hurricaine Katrina.  The 40 fiberglass Fleur de lis were then spread around town for several weeks eventually being sold at auction, with the proceeds going to 40 different charities supported by Fore!Kids.
For more info on the artists and to see the other Fleur de lis go here.
New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf~~after seeing the beautiful pristine waters of Prince William Sound dessimated by the Exxon Valdez~~my heart goes out to you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you in my every waking moment, and may this nightmare end soon....if only.



8 comments:

  1. I live on a street named Nola and always wish we had a much grander sounding street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's all over soon to, but I'm not holding my breath... Those Fluer de Lis are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! They're beautiful!! What a tribute to Katrina.
    It's a mess down there. Maybe this will make someone pay attention to our insane dependency on oil in this country.
    The southern coast is sure taking a beating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sweetie!

    Thank you so much for the beautiful and loving post to my beautiful homeland of Louisiana! xo...deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photographs! What a wonderful tribute!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very wonderful post! I enjoyed seeing all of the different designs. Nola remains on my mind and in my prayers and meditations.

    Thanks Joannne for your ever thoughtful comments and I also have more McCoy giveaways to come this summer!

    Yeah!

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...