"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

THE friend...



google images


...I got a call from my friend Kat today.  I hadn't talked to her in awhile but as always we just picked up where we left off as if no time had passed.

We met in 1992 at work.  She was hired as my assistant and instantly we became the best of friends.  We would work together all day and then promptly at 5pm each evening she would call me and we would talk about all the things we couldn't talk about at work.  Our husbands were friends also, so making plans and hanging out together was so easy, so fun.  Oh, the stories we could tell.

 She is THE friend.  The one who knows everything about you.  The one who knows what makes your heart laugh and your soul cry.  She is the one who knows my deepest darkest fears and who holds my hand when I think I can't possibly go on.  We have carried each other through rivers of tears and we have soared together through fields of joy.  THAT friend...do you have a friendship like that?

She moved to Boise a few years ago.  It's just close enough to visit a few times a year (about 12hours from here, 10hours if she is driving) but too far for a casual jump-in-the-car visit.  It takes time and planning and doesn't happen as often as it should.  Life gets in the way like that sometimes.   But, my friend called today...THE friend...my best friend...my closest thing to a sister friend...and she needs me.  

I will be back in a few days but for now I'm on my way to my friend, THE friend, with love and hugs, laughter, joy, tears, sharing, cooking, eating, shopping, talking, eating, and chocolate.  See you soon...jj

14 comments:

  1. jojo...I have a funny feeling more wonderful memories will be made in these next few days!
    Enjoy!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that you are a mighty fine friend, too. Enjoy your visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have fun, be careful, and return when you can! You sound like a special kind of friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip. See you when you return!
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so great to have THE friend! Mine lives in Boston, we are lucky to see each other once a year, but we chat online many times a week.

    Have a great trip! She is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to have so close is killing me Jojo. But I am so glad that you can be there for your dear friend at this time. Yes, I did have a friend like this once. She was killed in a car wreck a few years ago and my heart has never healed, nor will it ever. I really believe that friends like these are rare. Or is it that maybe I've never let myself get that close again because of the loss? I don't know, but I know that I am so happy for you, that you have this rare gem in your life.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your well-deserved visit! I am so happy to know that you will be reunited with your dear friend! Funny, I just wrote about a visit that I had with my dear friend! Maybe it's something in the stars that says it's time to reconnect with our beloved friends.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be safe and I hope that the visit will be enjoyable for the both of you. Hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hope you have a great time, Get there and back safe and sound. I lost my bestfriend (my sister) a yr ago Oct when she died. I don't have a best friend anymore and miss it so much. Enjoy Jojo and see ya when you get back. Make memories!!!

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post and it is good to go to a friend like that, they are our best treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JJ, I am so happy that you get to see THE friend because, even though it is she who needs you, both of you get to benefit! You two are so lucky to have each other!

    Have fun, and hurry back to us with good friend stories...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing friends are!!! Through good times and bad! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome! We all need a friend like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friendship like that is worth its weight in gold. I have a friend like that. We often finish each other's sentences. Enjoy your visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...