"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

You've got the P.O.W.E.R...

...February is the month of l.o.v.e.  It is the chocolates, flowers, hearts and sweethearts month.  It is also Heart Disease Prevention and Awareness Month.  A subject that is very near and dear to my heart ( heart! get it?)  On August 26, 2003 I survived a heart attack, (a 100% blocked artery heart-attack) hopefully my first and last one.  To say it was frightening does not give credit to the emotions.  There are no words...I could have died.  Please, get all the information you can, don't think it can't happen to you (I had only one of the risk factors), go with your instinct~~your intuition.  Knowledge is power and you have the power...right now.



Did you know? Right now 8million American women are living with heart disease. When it comes to heart disease there are many factors that can influence your risk, some of them you can control, some of them can control you.

Risks you can control:
High blood pressure
High blood cholesterol
Diabetes
Smoking
Being overweight
Being inactive

Risks you cannot control:
Family history : if your father or brother had a heart attack before age 55, or your mother or sister before age 65 you are at a higher risk.
Age (55+ for women!! ) after menopause women are more apt to get heart disease in part because their body's production of estrogen drops. Women who have gone through early menopause because of hysterectomy are twice as likely to develop heart disease as women of the same age who have not yet gone through menopause. Middle age women also tend to develop other risk factors ie: obesity.
Race/ethnicity African-American, Hispanic and Native American women are all at greater risk and are also more likely to have other contributing risk factors such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

It is vital that you know your numbers: (believe me I know that which I speaketh)
total cholesterol---<200mg/dl
LDL "bad"---<100dl
HDL "good"---50mg/dl or higher
triglycerides---<150mg/dl
blood pressure---120/80
fasting glucose---<100mg/dl
body mass index---<25

waist circumference---<35inches

Take the Go Red Heart Check-up here. (goredforwomen.org)



5 comments:

  1. What a great reminder to us all. Thanks Jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this!! Great reminder for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information! I had gall bladder attacks that were scary. I never had stones, but my gall bladder was only functioning at 10%. I went to the ER twice with this and got the feeling they were annoyed with me, so I just suffered for three years before a savvy internist figured it out. All this to say .... women don't want to be a bother and tend to ignore symptoms. Don't ignore your pain or instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had a health wake-up call via the death of an acquaintance, but I wonder how long that awareness will last here :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. My dad had heart disease. My mom died of a stroke when she was 46. I just had the labs done and all lab numbers are poster child perfect! I don't smoke, I walk and my BMI is more than 40 because of the medicines I have to take. My husband found out about his 95% occluded left anterior descending in the MIDDLE of a surgery to remove his sigmoid colon and had angioplasty done a week later. Since then he has had a pig valve replacement and double bypass in the same surgery. I'm so glad you're doing so well heart wise.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...