"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A little ray of sunshine...

...if you are like me, and always complaining that time is flying by, then welcome to January where time seems to s-l-o-w way down.  I don't know if it's the let down after the holidays, the longing for spring, or the cold, dark days that give rise to contemplation, re-evaluating, and sometimes just plain old depression.

January is a lonely month...there are no big festivities as in December or cute holidays as in February.  Unless you have a birthday in January then it is seemingly long.

When I was at Target the other day I saw some Amaryllis on clearance and thought I would pick one up.  actually, I did pay for it! I've always liked the Amaryllis flower and they are quite easy to grow.  They are quite interesting to watch grow too!



this is the one I chose, a light pink color, the only other choice was red and I always end up with red.  Time for a change.


it comes with everything necessary...a nice ceramic planter, the growing medium (dirt), and the bulb.  This one was already sprouting in the box.


after making dirt soaking the planting material for a few minutes (outside, in a bucket) it was then transferred into the pot with the bulb...here it is all ready to go.

These babies grow pretty darn fast, the one up top there was about 2 inches after it was planted and the one below, measured a week later, is about 5 inches. 




I will measure it every week and we can watch it grow up and bloom together...just a little ray of sunshine for an otherwise drab January.  And hope that spring will come soon!

20 comments:

  1. Pretty cool, growth in one week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything in bloom is always cheerful, but I long for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to get through the after Christmas blaws. It will be so beautiful to watch and they are such lovely flowers. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may look for some of those. Are they anything like the "whites" I've heard about? I've seen a lot of them on sale. I like your sentiments in reference to your blog -- it's a piece of you and no one else -- no democracy...your the princess of your blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love having the flowers in the winter.

    Funny but time is already moving too fast for me! My dad always said the older you get the faster time goes. It is true though in winter the days move slowly though the year flies by!

    I planned a chili party in December for January and we will be celebrating the Blahs this weekend. Watch for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll let you grow them, and I'll enjoy them from your blog!

    It is supposed to be in the mid-40's this week. That is an 'up-lifter' too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect thing to do in January! I like the pink one a lot. Can't wait to see it's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jojo,

    I love Amaryllis. It will certainly brighten up your January days, watching it grow. I tend to find January a depressing month as well. Yesterday was gorgeous and sunny, as you saw in the swan photos, but today is gray and overcaast and the temperatures are plummeting.

    Wishing you a great day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the way to keep in the air. JoJo, great minds must think alike. I posted on blooms today!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well there go ms. JoJo.. we now have AMARYLLIS DAY in January!!

    Hugs and love friend.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pink Amaryllis is an exquisitely beautiful flower, and to me it denotes spring...! It will be blooming just in time for Easter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jojo,
    I have never tried one of these before, but my mom plants them every year. I have some hyacynths growing in the window right now, but they are sure taking their own sweet time putting on much growth. I can't wait to smell their perfume once they do.
    I hope everything is great with you.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, I don't know how this happened, but I just sent you a bunch of comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is neat! You are going to grow a plant for me to watch grow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amaryllis are beautiful reminds me I haven't grown any for a few years, maybe I need to go by Target!
    My Mu,'s b'day was in Jan, and mine too nut I am at an age where I would rather ignore the numbers! I told my DH he can have a party for me when I am 80,LOL. Till then we will just keep it Q-U-I-E-T !

    ReplyDelete
  19. JoJo
    I have missed you! This not being on the internet has been an experience that I quite do not know how to handle very well. lol
    Love your post about the amar...
    can't spell it.
    Anyway they are beautiful but I did not realize they grow this fast. Maybe I should treat myself to one.
    Just wanted to say hello and I miss everyone. I still have not figured out what to do about the interent out where I live.... but this limited gig thing is not going to work for me...especially if I want to blog....otherwise it would be no problem
    Take care
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spring is coming with the number of seed catalog arriving at our mailbox which makes my husband ecstatic. I am using the time to read and plan what all I want to do this summer, who I want to see, etc.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...