"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do you see what I see?



...two legs, two feet, two shoes!  Yipee!!!  After three hideously long months of wearing a cast it. is. finally. off.  Now I am free to drive again and roam the streets and thrift stores of my little burb.

It has not been an easy road, getting to this place today.  I can tell you now things that I was unable to earlier.  No one knew but the doc and my hubs.  I had surgery for a persistently painful hammer-toe in October.  At first glance all appeared to go well but, when I went in for my post op check at one week, we had a situation.  The x-rays showed no new bone growth which was not a complete surprise as I have known bone issues.  What was a surprise was that the screws and pins were all out of place...diagonal and floating.  The toe was quite swollen and discolored, which I thought was normal but I was wrong.  The doc was very concerned and said that it would have to come off.  I assumed he was talking about the hardware and said to take care of it as soon as possible.  He meant the toe.  I simply could not go there...again.  I asked, begged, pleaded with him to please let's watch it for awhile before we made such a huge decision and he agreed with the stipulation that if there was any sign of infection he would proceed post haste.  I saw him every few days for x-rays and it wasn't until just before Thanksgiving that he felt we were in the clear.  A month later things looked good but bone growth was still lagging...today however things seem to have caught up and the bone has regenerated.  What a relief.

I must say that I feel a little silly about all of this right now.  The saddest music in the world are the cries of the people in Haiti today.  It is so difficult for me to find the words, to know what or how to pray for them.  And so I simply speak from my heart and ask for Grace.  If you are so inclined then I ask you to do the same.  And to consider making a donation to your local Red Cross or World Vision.  Take care my friends...

18 comments:

  1. Oh JoJo, so happy you didn't lose your toe!Miracles, even small ones , are something to be thankful for.
    Yes we had a great Christmas holiday - but it went quickly!We are now back into the swing of things and back to (somewhat) normal.
    Yes, you need to get on Facebook - it can be fun;)
    will stop by later on and catch up on all I've missed lately! /hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was a huge ordeal you went through. But how wonderful the result!! Your two shoes and two feet standing are gloriously beautiful :)

    When you get on FB, send me a friend request!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh JoJo...what an ordeal. I've had foot surgery before and any kind of bone work is incredibly painful. I am thankful for you things are looking up. God cares...

    Just like He cares about the people suffering in Haiti. May we all feel the need to help where we can...

    "So send I you to bind the bruised and broken
    Over wandering souls to work, to weep, to wake
    To bear the burdens of a world a-weary
    So send I you to suffer for My sake..."

    Bless you~

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy your Dr. and toe cooperated. I have heard of bone growth stimulators in case your nasty toe acts up again. You handled it with much more grace than I would have. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to hear this good news JoJo. God is good.

    Praying for Haiti.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jojo, finding out now about your toe is probably good,because I would've worried myself to death. I think I shared with you that my husband also has diabetes and last Winter he was stepped on by one of his horses and broke three toes. It was an open fracture and so we had to go to the doctor every few days for them to keep an eye on infection. it was a pain and we worried that if he lost his toes he would also loose his job. At least been given a desk job. Everything has turned out well.
    I'm so thankful that you were able to save your toe as well. I know you've been through a lot with this, so take care of yourself. Get out and enjoy yourself (but no roaming the streets at night OK)lol
    I am praying for all those in Haiti as well and hope that we can all support those service orgs with whatevcer we can spare. These truly need our help right now.
    Thank you for your post today dear one.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jojo... I remember the day I got my cast off as well. Of course I had not the outcome one would desire. I instead took two steps and rebroke my foot. OY.. but, I think the message was I am suppose to slow down just a bit and not rush through anything. Savor the moments. heheh.. that is what I tell myself rather than justify how I rebroke it stepping of a 3 inch cement flat. Yup.... goodness.

    May the many prayers of all reach those of Haiti!
    Hugs
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad the cast is finally off and that they were able to save your toe! This is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to keep your toe. It is important for balance. And balance is important to keep you on your feet and not falling!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!! My goodness, you have been through so much. I must say your feet look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh JoJo, your two wonderful feet standing there in your two wonderful shoes made me smile! I am so glad to hear that you were able to save your toe. You have been through too much, dear heart, way too much!

    Much love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jojo,

    Do not feel silly. A toe that may have to be amputated is a HUGE concern. I am glad the doctor agreed to wait and that your toe was saved. It's nice to see that the cast is off and you are able to be more independent once again.

    Take care of yourself. I'm praying for those in Haiti, but have also been praying for you.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. JJ...as usual, I am late to the post, but that does not decrease my happiness at seeing your two feet planted firmly on the ground. I am so thankful that you spoke your mind to the doctor, and he listened to you; that is not always an easy accomplishment, but it was meant to be! If anyone deserves to catch a break in this regard, it is you. And I just could not be happier that things turned out as they did. YOU GO, JJ!

    And now I have a confession to make, and I can only hope you find it as funny as I did...because it just goes to show what a dork I am. When I first looked at the picture of your legs and feet, I did not read anything first...I just looked at the picture...and you will never guess what my strange mind saw. I saw one of those black-on-white silhouette pictures of Homer and Marge Simpson. Clearly, I need psychiatric help! BWAHAHAHA.

    Please always know that even when I am not commenting, I'm still thinking of you. PLEASE get on Facebook, PLEASE...

    ReplyDelete
  15. JoJo so glad you didn't have to lose the toes. That makes the feet in the shoes in the picture all the more fantastic!

    You go, girl!!!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Jojo,
    This was a long ordeal that ended well. You have shoes on and you're able to go places and do things without the hardship of a cast. This is really good news.
    Life is tough and you have had more than your share. Please look forward.., go do something "fun" just for you.
    I send a big hug to you and a wish for your happiness.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...