"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thrifty Treasures...


...a few weeks ago, while shopping with a friend, I was pushed, pulled, dragged, encouraged to stop into a Thrift shop with her.  I enjoy a clean, organized Thrift shop now and again and so I was completly delighted, yes 'delighted', to find some treasures.  I thought I would share some of them today as I have absolutely nothing for Tuesday's tids!

I collect vases and pitchers and found this pitcher for $1.99!
My hubs thinks it looks like something from 'The House of Pancakes' but I am sure it is not.  It's very small, only about 5" high and 3" across.  Very cute...




 I also found this little ring holder.  At least that's what I think I'll use it for...I'm not sure.  It is quite small also, only about 2"x 2", and rests on some tiny, gold feet. This little goodie set me back $.99. 


And last for today, milk glass.  I have recently discovered my love for milk glass and have found a few pieces to start my new collection.  This one is good sized...about 7" tall and 5" wide.  I have not decided what to put in it yet...any ideas??

What about you...do you dive into a thrift shop or drive past them?

crappy picture taker,
mama pajama 

11 comments:

  1. Oh this post really speaks to me. I drive right past and if one of my friends pulls, pushes, (ahemm)encourages, just like yours did - I usually hate it! I have so much junk, I think we bloggers should organize a "trade your junk (ah, treasure) day".

    But, one day, I did find a unique green swirly bowl with little fishes engraved or painted or something in the bottom of it. I blogged about it a year ago or so.

    Strangely enough, I was out walking on Sunday afternoon and decided to pop into our local antique shop. I didn't buy anything, but just looked. There were a few items I might have bought, but did not (same reason as above - I have too much junk). One was a dark blue stoneware milk pitcher I almost bought.

    I love your "finds", however. Miniatures speak to me. I don't know why, but I love anything little or tiny. That milk glass is perfect - for what? I don't know, but you'll find something to put in it. Or just leave it as it is.
    Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I have visited the local thrift store. I purchased a pair of kachi pants for my husband for $4.97. Two baskets threw themselves into my arms and now they have a new home.
    My opinon is you have to go frequently in order to see the really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just dropped off a trash bag full of really nice usable clothes, that I can no longer wear (and if I get small again, I'll go buy new things.)

    I hope they bless someone else who can't afford to go to a 'regular' store. Of course, our selection in our town is either 2 pretty expensive shops, and Wal-mart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them!! Right now, it's mostly for clothing for the kids, but I just know that someday I'm going to find some great valuable treasure there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you did good! Love the trinket plate.

    Have a warm, wonderful week. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them Jojo! You never know what you'll find and I'm a hard core junker. I love that milkglass. I never can find it around here because I think everyone is collecting it too. You were so lucky to find such a beautiful piece. I use pieces like that to hide stuff from my husband, like change for my coke refils, because he would never consider looking in them. No, he doesn't read my blog so my secret is still safe.
    And don't you tell him either!!!
    Hugs,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun! I love puttering through a thrift store! It's amazing the little treasures you can find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JoJo-we are thrift shop lovers here! Milk glass? We need to talk!
    <><


    ps I read your comment over at daryls- I am sick for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your finds! I'd rather go to a thrift store than to a mall! It's like a treasure hunt...some days are diamonds, some days are stones. You just reminded me that my mom had a milkglass pedestal bowl and matching candlesticks. After the move, I'm gonna have to get back to thrifting once I see what this new duplex needs. Thanks for sharing your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful finds, dear heart! I would absolutely use the lovely milk glass cup for seaglass! I am always looking for unusual vessels to display my seaglass in, so this would be perfect.

    I have a couple of pieces of milk glass and I just adore it. I collect Jadeite and have a whole dish set of it in my beach house. It's so much fun when you can add to a collection!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, I dive right in. A little muck and dirt never stops me! Just gotta remember to bring the Purel!
    Hmmm, maybe you could put candy corn in your milk glass, at least for another week or so. After that...maybe seashells?
    Great blog, nice to meet you!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...