"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, July 3, 2009

Blame it on the Bossa Nova...

the dance of love.
I don't know what is going on here but in this photo you can better see the brides veil which was hand-made by her best friend and carried here from San Fransisco to the wedding. We had our formal pictures done and then mulled around until 4:30 when the ceremony began.
Since I was part of the ceremony I don't have pics but when I get the formal ones I can post them. The ceremony was an intertwining of both of their faiths and was quite lovely. My husband and I walked our son down the isle, then the flower girls, and then the bride with her father and Ste
p-mother. We each gave our blessing to the bride/groom and they went together to the front of the gazebo where the officiant stood. The next part was to fill out the paper-work with the witnesses. Neither the bride or groom had attendents so each of them had their only sibling witness their marriage. The fathers of the bride/groom were witness to the Katubah which is the Jewish Marriage License. After this they gave a blessing to those who were not physically present, my parents, the grand-parents of the bride, and the brides mother who passed away at a very young age. They said their vows and each read a poem to the other that they had picked out and exchanged rings. Then they presented the groom with a glass rolled up inside a towel. The Breaking of the Glass Ceremony symbolizes the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. It is also a reminder that the relationship is fragile and must be treated with love and respect. Then the groom stepped on the glass, breaking it. After another blessing they were presented to the crowd as Mr. and Mrs....
Another Jewish custom is lifting the Bride
and Groom onto chairs and holding them up while everyone dances around them in celebration. This took place immediately after the ceremony and these pictures give you an idea of what that looked like.
This went on for several minutes and although it looks scary I am assured that it was not. After a bit more of dancing and singing we were off to the Lodge for the formal dinner...

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a really lively enjoyable union. Anxious to see all the other pics. Have a safe & lovely holiday. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wedding sounds lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day! Have I mentioned how I just love weddings?

    Happy 4th of July JoJo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jojo,
    I love that tributes to both sets of beliefs were represented in the ceremony. It looks and sounds like such a lovely time. Blessings to the happy couple! Thank you for the sweet messages you leave to encourage me. I love them.
    Smiles,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh JOJO, that sounds like it was a truly beautiful ceremony. Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy
    Oh what a fabulous time .
    I love the Bossa Nova ,just had to throw that out there :)
    The wedding sounds so wonderful .
    Thank you for all the details I really enjoyed reading your post so much I read it twice ,hey I am just a romantic sap .
    Anyway thank you for sharing this beautiful moment in time and the photos were the cherry on top !
    Have a blessed 4th of July weekend.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like it was just about perfect. I can't wait to see more pix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the wedding pictures. It sounds like it was a beautiful and wonderful occasion.

    More! More!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...