"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, April 13, 2009

My Town Tuesday....

awesome husband buying me flowers
grape hyacinth (thanks for the help with that Deb!)

tulips trying to be grown-up


daffodils

A couple of weeks ago we visited a local bulb farm in search of Spring. I wanted to share some history and a few more pictures with you today.
In the early 1900's Simon VanLierop left his home in the Netherlands and settled in the Puyallup Valley. He began working on a local flower farm and was often paid in bulbs which he sold to neighbors and friends. In 1934 he started his own bulb farm and now sells bulbs of every sort all over the world. The farm has many green houses so flowers are available year round. There is a beautiful walking path around the grounds and a cozy little gift shop featuring 'daffodil' and 'tulip' inspired gifts. On Sundays you can listen to live Chamber music as you stroll the gardens and sip tea. Because of our crazy winter/spring weather the bulbs are quite late in blooming this year. When the tulips are in full bloom it is a glorious sight to see. There are so many varieties and the walking paths are full of color. I'll head back over there when the season is here.

9 comments:

  1. Ahh, to live at that bulb farm...heavenly! Those pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things of beauty are really important in life. I just wish I had one ounce of artistic ability so I could add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great. And now I have bulb envy. And what a sweet hubby;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, what an swesome hubby you have! Hope the tulips fair well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to visit!! My husbadnd was reading over my shoulder (probably sighing with relief that his "flower buying days" are long gone -- he plants my roses and they supply me all year long . . . smart guy!) and he asked whether the chamber music was live or piped throughout the gardens? Hmmmm . . . he's putting in a music system outdoors for me. I wonder if he's considering court musicians to sit on the deck and play my bidding? HA HA! (Pardon me, I just had a "Marie Antionette" moment.)

    Thanks for sharing the beauty you enjoyed. I enjoyed it too!

    p.s.
    The little purple flowers planted out with the yet-to-bloom mini-tulips are "grape hyacinth" (Muscari armeniacum). Just thought you'd like to know in case you want to plant out those beauties -- I have them EVERYWHERE. A few bulbs spread into a glorious carpet in time.

    Okay, I'm done blabbing . . . you can have your blog back. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for our daffodils to look like that! We've only just started to see the crocuses peeking out as the snow has melted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics Jojo. I just adore tulips and daffodils. I would have major problems in a store like that!! LOL.

    What a sweet hubby. Now you need him to take a pic of you!! Please??

    Thanks for sharing the fun you had today.

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics of all these lovely bulbs. Your husband is a keeper I would say. I've been married 36 yrs and Hubs has bought me flowers 4 Times.(but I still love him) Thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving me a message so I could find you.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...