"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, March 16, 2009

Gardening grows....

..your life span.

Centenarians around the world come from many different backgrounds and professions, but one of the most common hobbies among them is gardening. As exercise, gardening strengthens the muscles, as a discipline it requires patience and cultivates fortitude and in the end it brings rewards and joy to its practitioners. Studies show that gardeners have lower incidence of heart disease and osteoporosis than non-gardeners.

from: Secrets of Longevity

7 comments:

  1. I love other people's gardens. I try. I really, really, really try, but I fail every single time. I have no patience. None. Linus and I have some things to plant over spring break, so here's to hoping.

    When my parents went out of town once, my mom asked me to water her plants. And I did. I watered a silk one many times. The real one? Yeah, I forgot about it. See? I fail.

    I guess I'm doomed with my lack of patience and my type A personality. All the more reason to really try harder at gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can believe that. There is just something so relaxing about puttering around in a garden, even if it's just a container garden. Weeding, deadheading, watering...it's just such a simple thing to do that pays great rewards. I'm not all that good at it, but I sure enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. And I am going to get to the nursery as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I garden a lot, well, as much as one can garden while living in a state like Maine.
    But, osteoporosis has reared it's ugly head anyway.
    Oh well, just keep on trucking....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my garden but my back/hips sure hates it in the early part of the year... BUT long life or not I will keep on gardening! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true so what are you planting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gardening but my health is taking the love out of it lately. Last year my daughter planted for me. Once it's planted, I can do some of the other things, like watering, etc. The rewards are so great for me. Tomorrow we are due mid 60's and sunny!! Still to early to plant here yet. We can't plant till around Mother's Day.

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...