"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Knowledge is P.O.W.E.R....


Tomorrow Friday, Feb. 6th, is Wear Red Day in support of women's heart disease programs.
Did you know? Right now 8million American women are living with heart disease. When it comes to heart disease there are many factors that can influence your risk, some of them you can control, some of them can control you.

Risks you can control:
High blood pressure
High blood cholesterol
Diabetes
Smoking
Being overweight
Being inactive

Risks you cannot control:
Family history : if your father or brother had a heart attack before age 55, or your mother or sister before age 65 you are at a higher risk.
Age (55+ for women!! ) after menopause women are more apt to get heart disease in part because their body's production of estrogen drops. Women who have gone through early menopause because of hysterectomy are twice as likely to develop heart disease as women of the same age who have not yet gone through menopause. Middle age women also tend to develop other risk factors ie: obesity.
Race/ethnicity African-American, Hispanic and Native American women are all at greater risk and are also more likely to have other contributing risk factors such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

It is vital that you know your numbers: (believe me I know that which I speaketh)
total cholesterol---<200mg/dl
LDL "bad"---<100dl
HDL "good"---50mg/dl or higher
triglycerides---<150mg/dl
blood pressure---120/80
fasting glucose---<100mg/dl
body mass index---<25

waist circumference---<35inches

Take the Go Red Heart Check-up here. (goredforwomen.org)

Next week I will tell my heart attack survival story. Believe me it is not a place you want to visit. It will surprise you.

5 comments:

  1. God, I have to try and give up smoking!!! I will be interested to read your next story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post JoJo - my mother has heart disease and as a matter of fact just had a stress test monday and they called her yesterday and said there was something showing up on it again...she has to go back in next week to see whats up. She has had a triple bypass, 3 angioplasties, and 8 stents...
    thanks for getting the message out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, man, I don't think I want to know. I need to know, but I don't want to. I am pretty much a heart attack waiting to happen. I just keep thinking that because I've been such a good person all my life it won't happen. bwahaha??!!? I better listen up when you talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my red outfit all picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder Jojo. It sure scares me. I look forward to reading your next story and see how you bravely mastered recovery. You are a inspiration to me and need you in my life for sure.

    ILY

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...