"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Listen to your heart...(III)

I have had comments from some saying that while they appreciate my telling of my experience they didn't feel they had to worry about it since they had no family history. ( My siblings included) At the time of my heart attack, of the seven risk factors, I had only one...diabetes. There is no history of heart disease or diabetes in my family, I was not over-weight, I was active and my diabetes was under good control. If I had taken the risk-factor test the day before my "event" it would have been .4% likely-hood of having a problem in the next five years. Don't be fooled into denial because of your family history!

From my journal:
August 15, 2003
I am still very uncomfortable. Went to Dr. J. this morning for a nerve injection in my leg to see if it would help with the pain. We are walking in a 24-hour Relay for Life tonight and I am hoping to feel well enough to participate. I told the Dr. about my most recent trip to the E.R. and the first thing he asked me was, "did they check your heart?" I found that a little strange but I told him that I had been assured that all was well with my heart.
August 18, 2003
I spent the weekend doing nothing. It seems that I just can't find the energy to accomplish anything. Getting up and dressed is too much work for me. My back hurts so bad now and the pain is radiating around my rib cage to the front. This is just not right. I have had colitis before and it wasn't like this. I keep asking Scott if this could be my heart and he keeps reassuring me that it has been checked. I see my PCP in a couple of days...
August 21, 2003
Went to the PCP today, still not feeling any relief from this overall feeling of pain and doom. He thinks perhaps I have somehow fractured a rib thus causing the band of pain from front to back and has ordered a bone scan. It can't be done until next week. Meanwhile, he says to rest and has increased my pain meds. I have had a rib fracture before and this is not the same kind of pain. I'm getting quite worried and very weary...

**note: at this point I was feeling completely dismissed by the medical community and was quite fearful that I was going to die. It was that 'feeling' that I just couln't shake.

4 comments:

  1. You've got me hangin' on the edge here....I did a transcription yesterday where the guy had NONE of the risk factors and had a massive MI. So you just never know. Can't wait to read the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. am sitting on the edge here non typical MI's are more the norm each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your pain... having a son who wasn't given a chance to live (cancer) and did... well, I went thru a lot of emotions, and made a lot of friends who's kids unfortunately didn't recover. I don't know your story, but email me if you want to "talk" mleep@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...