"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Knowing Bill...

William A. Fairbanks

Bill

Wild Bill


Bill was born in a small town in Iowa, surrounded by corn fields and hog farms. In the summer he would play in those fields and earned money picking corn and green beans. He would watch his father walk home from the hog farms for lunch and a nap every afternoon and evening. He played ball and fished with his older brother. And learned early on that growing up in a small town could be costly.
Today we buried Bill.
Bill was my husbands cousin. There were five boy cousins all around the same ages and would often spend time together in the summers.
They went fishing and hiking in New Mexico.
They went fishing and played ball in Minnesota. Grandpa taking them all to the occasional Twins game.
They spent Christmas in Amarillo when it snowed and drifts were as high as the roof. Sometimes they rode go-carts and just played in the dirt. And sometimes they just bothered their sisters.
It was a sad day on so many levels.
Bill was only 53 and passed after a short illness.
He came home from work tired and quiet, not feeling himself.
A few days later he died of liver failure.
It's sick to see a parent lose a child.
His parents moved out here after retirement and he and his family quickly followed. He was married with two boys of his own then, and would soon add another boy.
His boys...his pride and joy. His life.
He taught them to fish, and they played at the beach, and brought them up to be fine young men. Responsible young men.
There was a chill in the air today
Not as many people attended as we had hoped, we wanted to see everyone again. It seems like that is the only time we see everyone anymore. Death...sneaking up on us and making us reflect on our own families and relationships. Desperate to make enough time to put everything in place knowing all well that once we go home from here today nothing will really change.
I met them shortly after they moved here immediately taking a liking to his wife. Our children played together while we visited and the men were off doing men-things. We spent Christmas's together and had summer BBQ. One year Bill drew my name for the Christmas party. He gave me a beautiful music-box. Inside, the depiction of an old Towne Christmas. It's beautiful, I still have it.
William A. Fairbanks
son of Miff and Donna
brother of Casey
father of Landon, Dustin, Alex
cousin of Scott, Craig, David, Ann, Beth, Jenni,
friend.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of the loss and what a wonderful tribute!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, JJ. That was beautiful, but so, so sad. It makes me want to know more. Anybody who gives a beautiful music box as a gift is a special person. My older uncle gave me a music box for my high school graduation, 35 years ago. It is two white doves and plays "Somewhere My Love." Special people with love in their hearts do things like that.

    I think the world is losing too many wonderful Bills at ages that are far too young. But, then, sometimes I think that even with all of the good stuff, this world still was just not good enough for our Bills.

    {{{{HUGS, JJ}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tribute. Wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to Bill. Sounds like he was a wonderful man, whose life ended to quickly. I am sorry for your loss.
    Hugs to you and the family.

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss.... so young, a great person is lost. Your tribute was beautiful.
    Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly tragic loss.

    May he rest in peace and may his family, especially his children, find peace of their own someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is entirely too young. I'm glad you knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's cousin, Bill. He would have loved your tribute, I'm sure.
    I will keep your family in my prayers.

    Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tribute.

    So sorry for your family's loss.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...