"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Little helpers

I finally decided that it was time to take down the Halloween decorations. It was becoming a slight embarrassment at this point to still have pumpkins on the front porch (they weren't carved) and a harvest wreath at my front door.


I have been struggling a little with the Christmas spirit this year. Not that I don't know where it is for I know all I have to do is look up...it is a constant in my life...Christmas or not. It is in my heart always just as the beat of my baby boys heart and the love of my children surround me...it is in my heart. The struggle I think lies in the passing of time. Why must it move so quickly. Good or bad it is gone in a whisper and I realize that at this time of year more than any other. I have had to make so many changes these last few months, I have had to make so many difficult decisions and unfortunately I have realized some very sad things about the people in my extended family.


And so I will reflect and search for Grace and fill my heart and home with presents, card-making, wreath-making, tree trimming, joyous music and lost traditions. Shopping trips and cookie decorating with my niece and Christmas lights galore.
And while it may not feel 'right' or have a sense of emptiness I know in time I will be filled with light and Christmas cheer.

7 comments:

  1. Christmas can be a very melancholy time for people. You sound like you're doing the right thing, though. The Christmas spirit will find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holidays are hard for alot of people. I hope your heart doesn't stay heavy for long JoJo, and that you know who fills it graciously and lovingly as He should.
    Sorry I haven't been around for a while, but you read my blog, you know its been nuts. /holiday hugz to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wise and doing it right. Good on you!
    Well thought out and said.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the Christmas season can be very hard. This will be the 1st Christmas that I don't have my sister, to send a card too, etc. You are right, she's in my heart. I hope that your depression lifts some. Please know, I am here for you, and you are doing the right thing by decorating etc. It does help lift the spirits!! Remember there are a lot of folks who love you. I see that by your comments.
    If you need me, I am here.

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, JJ. It's that thing that we just have to do...act "as if" until the "as if" finally turns into reality. I love, love, love and don't love, don't love, don't love Christmas ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

    Always thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you get going with the card-making, wreath-making, tree trimming, shopping trips and everything else, stop and ask yourself: Where are my thoughts? And if your thoughts are not in the card-making, tree trimming, or decorating with your niece - let go of your thoughts and enjoy the moment. Time will slow down and you will fall into the Christmas Spirit.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying for you JoJo! I sometimes have a hard time getting into it too. I'm not quite done with decorating our house and I've been stressing because I did it so late this year and I'm just going to have to take it down in a few weeks... but, the closer I get to finishing the more inspired I get to keep going. Christmas is most definitely NOT in the decorations but there's something about the decorations that set the mood.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...