"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's the great debate...

pie debate that is. It's been going on since the beginning of the celebration we call Thanksgiving. When I was growing up we always had pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie. My mom liked the mincemeat pie while the rest of us found it quite bizarre. I think maybe she was just glad to have something to herself after all the work of the traditional fixings. (Not that she ate an entire pie by herself--my dad may have helped) In our home the kitchen was my mothers domain and even on holidays you were not allowed in until the meal was complete. When my husband came into the family he added the pecan pie to the list of favorites and an occasional apple pie. My son being the apple pie connoisseur. I am still convinced that the pumpkin pie stands alone.



So what is your favorite pie for Thanksgiving? What will you be dipping your fork into just before you slip into the turkey-coma? Do you have that 'one' pie that is a family tradition? Pumpkin, Mincemeat, Apple, Sweet-potato, Pecan...choose your weapon.

9 comments:

  1. I am a pumpkin pie fan for Turkey Day..with whipped cream. I can hardly wait!!!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also grew up with both pumpkin and mincemeat pies. What IS mincemeat anyway?

    My grown-up-lover-of-all-things-dessert-oriented-self finds it very ironic that, as a kid, I did not eat sweets much at all. Possibly a corner piece of German Chocolate Cake before it was iced. The only definite was a slice of PUMPKIN PIE WITH WHIPPED CREAM--REAL WHIPPED CREAM--on Thanksgiving. I loved it then; I love it now (along with apple, peach, blueberry, strawberry, lemon supreme, pecan, etc.). But for Thanksgiving? HAS to be pumpkin!

    And I hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful one, JJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apple pie but my all time favorite for Thanksgiving is Pumpkin Cheese Cake. YUM

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely NOT pecan...blech.. too sweet... we usually do pumpkin, or I also make a sugar free pumpkin cheesecake that is to die for and goes along with our wight watching/diabetic diets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom loved mincemeat also. It always sounded gross to me, as a kid, a meat pie? LOL. I love pumpkin pie, and hubby loves cherry pie, so daughter made him a cherry pie, and made me pumpkin squares with cream cheese frosting. Yummy!! If my son had came, I would have to make pumpkin pies.

    I hope that your Thanksgiving is fun and happy!! You are one of my blessings for sure!

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to have three pies: pumpkin, apple and chocolate cream (because it would be wrong to have desserts without chocolate).

    BTW - yesterday's post made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had to come by this morning, JJ, to let you know that I am ALREADY one slice of PUMPKIN PIE into the day :)! I am happy. Even though I have extra creamy squirty Cool Whip instead of REAL whipped cream. I am thankful for convenience. BWAHAHAHA!

    Again, have a wonderful Thanksgiving, JJ and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin for sure... with fresh whipped cream slathered on top. Unfortunately, I am the only one in our home that likes it. I guess I'll have to learn how to make it for myself. :-(

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...