"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, September 29, 2008

Where's the Gratitude?


Gratitude... is it just non-existent today??

About two months ago I received a wedding invitation from my nephew, let's call him Brad, and his beautiful girl-friend that we'll call Alice. Brad and Alice were getting married in Vegas in several weeks. We also received a bridal shower invitation for Alice (who by the way is cute as a bug!). I have only met Alice once but was excited to go to her shower so that I could get to know her better and also spend some time with my sister and niece. But then this pesky disc/nerve disease reared it's ugly head and changed my plans. The shower was about an hour away from my house, and I had no way to get there and was unsure if my wheelchair would be a problem, so I sent a gift and my regrets at my absence. We also were unable to fly to Vegas for the wedding for the same basic reasons...pain, inconvenience. Again I sent a gift with my regrets, wishing them nothing but best wishes and happiness.
Since I could not get out to shop I was forced to shop online for the gifts. I felt a little guilty at not being able to attend and ended up (with tax, shipping and handling) spending quite a chunk of money. That's not the issue...I love my nephew and I hope he has a long, happy marriage. Here's the thing...it's been several weeks since the event and thank you notes have been slow in coming. This is understandable as I have been a newlywed myself and you just get busy with other things and thank-you notes go to the bottom of the list. As I said, I have not received a note yet, but, my daughter has. Can you imagine what it said?

"Thanks for the stuff, I'm sure we'll use it."

Now is it just me or is that more than a little insulting?

to be continued...

5 comments:

  1. Jojo,

    That is not what I'd write on a thank you note and I would be a little perturbed (to say the least) if anyone sent me one that said that. What was she thinking?

    I'm glad I suggested the Vitamin D. It has made a great difference in my life. For years I was constantly dragging one foot in front of the other and always felt like I was going to fall on my face. Since I started taking the Vitamin D, my life has been much better quality. Why can't doctor's think of something so simple? It was my daughter that suggested it. She is a pharmacy technician. I'm glad you are taking it now.

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting my Tackle it Tuesday post. I feel like I have a brand new piece of furniture and the best thing about it is that it was FREE. LOL

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoJo-
    I beleive I would be a little upset if I recieved a thank you note with those words. I think a thank you note should most definately show gratitude by actually acting grateful through words. The only thing that I wonder is maybe they really didn't have a clue about what to say-I know when my daughter graduated from H. S. I had to force her to rewrite all he thank you notes with more personal and appreciative comments. she just didn't understand what to write.
    I don't understand though wy you didn't receive yours at the same time as your daughter? that was rude-but sometimes family just is that way. sorry this happened to you.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that ssure wasnt' how I was taught to write a thank you note. I had most of my thanks yous done bye the time we got back from our honeymoon - ( 6 hr car trip both ways leaves time to do that stuff, lol)
    I was always taught to make sure you specifically mention the gift and then thank them for it. I say thats pretty tacky what she did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tacky is that? They probably don't even know what item is from whom. That's sad. Feel better my friend!! ILY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi jojo!
    you did what you felt was the right thing to do although you did not attend the wedding. Kudos to you. That is all you could do. :)

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...