"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, July 7, 2008

It's ALWAYS something with me


before I begin this post I have something I need to say~~~if you are not part of my extended "family" feel free to skip this part:

please note: this is not a pity-post. I neither want or do I need any one's pity. It is also not a medical page, but this is my life and my medical issues play a major role in it. IF you are related to me, and happen to find your way here, your "snarky" comments are not necessary. They are not supportive or helpful in any way, shape or form. Yes, there is always something going on with me and I know you're tired of hearing about it but guess what??? I'm tired of it too, and I'm tired of being a good sport about all of it, I'm tired of having my life defined by all the things wrong with me, and well...I'm just tired. And as hard as it is for you to believe---i'm not sick just to be spiteful and mess up your otherwise perfect lives.

After waiting for what seems like months (it was actually two weeks) I finally got some answers to the tests today. I'll share what I can at this time, I'm sure there will be more to come as I have many follow-up tests scheduled and a few doctor referrals to keep. After I had the cortisone shots in my heel, for the Achilles tendinitis, things didn't get any better. In my confused state of neuropathy I was sensing that the pain was coming from my heel and going up into my back. In reality, it is the opposite. The pain is coming from my back and shooting down my leg into my heel. I saw a doc on Thursday who specializes in "physical medicine and rehabilitation," and he diagnosed me with a herniated disc with nerve root impingement. I started physical therapy today and hopefully will start feeling some relief in a few weeks. Yeah, weeks! This is slow and complicated by the fact that I cannot take steroidal pain meds, or muscle relaxers, or narcotic pain meds of any kind.

I also had a repeat hematocrit today and it was 31. That is a slight improvement as it was 29 two weeks ago. Twenty-nine is my personal baseline for needing a transfusion of red blood cells so I've dodged that bullet for a little while. Meanwhile, I am drastically low on my vitamin D levels, and iron. I will be having weekly injections for the next three months to try and bring them up to normal, then supplements to keep them in range. I already take supplements of both (and many others) so it's still a mystery as to why I am not absorbing or maintaining proper levels. I have been referred to a gastric-doc for a colonoscopy (whoopee!!) and a kidney-doc to see if my decreased kidney function is the reason for my bone marrow suppression.

Looks like a summer of wait-and-see for me (again). I am not feeling nearly as bad as all this sounds, but, I am tired in more ways than I can describe. I am anxious to get going with the p.t. as I can't put any weight on my leg right now and the sun is shining and I want to go out and play. Have a great day everyone, and thanks for checking on me ;) I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me...




13 comments:

  1. i have found that with supplimentation the kind of suppliment makes a HUGE difference...I mean as in oil based verses dry... I have been buying my suppliments on line from someone who had gastric bypass surgery many years ago and she sells only things that she knows works after nearly dying from using the wrong sppliments and causeing malnutrition and osteoporsis... her web site is vitalady.com her prices are reasonable and with defencies she is an expert at helping to figure out the correct doses to get the levels up... the most important thing with her program is regular blood work so that the suppliments can be "tweeked" to suit the individuals needs... My vit d was in the toilet but with the dry vit D she has I has come up considerably and at a reasonable price... I also take her Iron as it does not constipate me like ferris sulfate, anyway if you would like some more information on the suppliments let me know I would be glad to help you in any way. When your vitamins and minerals are in the toliet you generally feel like crap and it is not in your head.
    HUGS to you
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting to hear the results. I'm glad the hematocrit is up, though it's not really fair that it's all happening at once.

    Stay strong, stay positive (as I can tell you already are, it's impressive) and I know that you'll get through this better than before.

    You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diabetes, is a devastating disease, more than insulin injections, more than high blood sugars or low blood sugars. There is a large shopping list of unwanted hangers on eye/kidney issues, neuropathy confused nerves, premature heart problems, amputation of any limb. Somebody stop me I could go on. I do need to say you so much more than diabetes. You are an admirable person one to look up to big time. You have done an excellent job of everything you. There is'nt anyone I know could keep up, dealing with all that you have. Big Time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jojo, I am sorry for what you are going thru. I wished we lived closer to each other, to be each other's support for this diabetes. We can try even though we live a country away from each other...LOL. The older I get with it, it gets worse. I hate it. It seems to take alittle more of me each day. 30 + yrs of it is taking it's toll on me.

    You sound strong, and I know you are, and we will make it!! Seems like my doc will not listen sometimes, do you get that also?

    I will pray for good results on your future tests. I too, and feeling very run down lately, and think I need some blood work done.

    Thanks for the comment on my page!! I used a scrapbooking site and made it, the family tree.

    God bless and know I am thinking of you and praying for your health!!

    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jojo,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    Sounds like you have the right attitude and I pray everything works out.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always in our thoughts and prayers! You are strong and wise. I hope your pain subsides, and things improve.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow JoJo, as for the medical stuff, I can totally sympathize. Since I am fairly new to your blog, what kind of neuropathy do you have? I have a form of peripheral neuropathy that is actually classified as a type of Muscular Dystrophy - Charcot Marie Tooth is it's name. The nerve cells of the muscles deteriorate. It is not life threatening , but slowly debilitating. My mom has it too and constantly needs a cane. We are both in leg braces.
    I hope all turns out well with the further testing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have given me more reason to believe in the statement, "You can choose your friends but not your relatives." Pox on your insensitive family. Like we ENJOY having constant pain, fatigue, etc. Glad your crit raised. I remember before I was a nurse that I went into the hospital with a hemoglobin of 5 from hemorrhaging and couldn't understand why they rushed me to surgery to stop the bleeding.

    Here's to feeling stronger every day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big hugs! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this!

    I did an iron infusion (not transfusion), and although it hurt like you wouldn't believe, it did wonders. I hope you can find the same success with however they decide to treat you.

    Again, big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jojo! I am sorry that you are having to go through all of this. I totally understand feeling like there is always something! It can really get you down. Diabetes is a booger, that's for sure. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are feeling well, at least. Glad they made progress with the leg/back pain issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JoJo,

    First of all, unsympathetic family and friends make me soooo angry. Like you, I live with a chronic illness and like you, I have had to deal with the reality of mean, insensitive people. Good for you for understanding that the problem is theirs and not yours. Their attitudes are just a waste of your time.

    I pray that things are on the upswing for you, and that you are feeling as well as possible! Please keep us posted. We care.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...