"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sittin' Pretty

(no news...still waiting, thank you all for your sweet comments) I had my fill of waiting today, and of being grounded, so I rode along with Mr. Nick while he did some errands. I've been trying to remember to take the camera with me when I leave the house and today I just happened to do so. Mr. Nick clicked some pics on my behalf today...thanks!

We live about 30 miles from an active (so they say) volcano. It is a beautiful sight, and on a bright sunny day it's hard to believe it could ever be anything else.
We also live in the valley, not far from a river. We can walk to it from our house and it is Gracie's favorite place to go. If she happens to "Houdini" her way out of the yard, or our reach, she will head straight to the river and wait at the edge for us to catch up to her.


In theory, when/if the mountain erupts there will be a giant "Lahar," a mud-flow that will come down this river and fill the valley with mud and debris. Because of the ever so slight possibility we have this:


also known as the "Lahar Warning System." Probably much like the tornado warning system, although I've never experienced that. So all in all it sounds like a good plan. Lahar warning sounds and we have about 30 minutes to get to high ground. Not like we'll be able to get out of our neighborhood and onto any of the main roads but that's another story. Thing is: we can't hear the warning signals from inside our house. SO unless I'm out in the yard, and there's no other noise like birds singing, or road traffic, or kids playing...I'm not going to hear it! I'm going to have to just rely on Gracie to let me know that something is going on down at the river.

6 comments:

  1. The early warning system, sadly, would not work with me. I need a vibrating system. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your early warningsiren goes off as much as our tornado sirens, you'd get sick of it. We can barely hear it in the house with the windows closed, and the dogs are not effected by it, so I rely on the news and opening the window in a storm, which we are due MORE today!

    My middle child and her hubby and kiddo's are on there way to visit this weekend. They live 2 hrs north of us. My son in law is going to do the yard work, if the weather permits. He's a sweetie!!

    Beautiful pics. My daughter(oldest child) used to live in Silverdale Washington and it was beautiful! Not my favorite type of weather, but pretty. David's baby daughter and her family are being stationed in Bremerton, in a few months, so we will have a kid up there again. Is that near you?

    Praying for good returns on your tests!!!

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow beautiful ... Have you been blog plundering? I find that takes me hours at a time and is quite fun and interesting?
    HUGS Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had MOTHER & CHILD REUNION stuck in my head...thanks to you!!

    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping that all of your bloodwork comes back A-Okay! It's no fun having to wait.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand, Jojo. We have signs down the street from our beach home with Tsunami evacuation info. Like you, I think we would probably be in big trouble before we got out of town. The risks of living in naturally beautiful areas, I suppose.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...