"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, June 16, 2008

She Won't Get Far on Foot (part 3)

I went home two (2, yes, TWO) days after my surgery without adequate pain relief or any physical therapy. Thank you insurance. I had a ginormous cast on what was left of my leg and at the end of my cast a "foot." Fred and Karl had decided, in the operating room, that it would be less traumatic for me if I woke up with a new foot attached to the cast. Less trauma, yeh. There was a small hole cut out of the cast at my knee-cap so swelling could be monitored. My sweet girl immediately turned that small opening into the center of a giant sun-flower she painted on the cast. As there is no way to keep a cast on your leg when you are missing your foot there was a strap attached which went around my waist. (picture a sort-of garter/garter-belt thing, only not as cute!) It was, to say the least, uncomfortable. The cast would slide up and down when I moved and was heavy as heck.
We lived in a split-level home at the time so once I made my way up the stairs I spent most of my time on the main floor. I had a wheelchair and was fortunate enough that it fit through the doorways and I could go into the kitchen/living room and down the hall to the bedroom/bathroom. The bathroom, ah yes, that was one challenge that I had not fully considered beforehand.
I had been home for about two weeks and awoke in the middle of the night needing to use the bathroom. It was about 45minutes before my husband was due to get up for work and I did not want to wake him so I tried to wait. Didn't work. I decided to get up as quietly as possible and get myself in there, which I managed to do quite well without waking him up. I sat on the edge of the bed contemplating on how I was going to heft my cast back up onto the bed. Finally, I took a deep breath, leaned back, and swung my cast up and over assuming it would land on the bed and I'd roll over and go back to sleep. Only problem was...I forgot about the "garter" thingy. I had not reattached the belt before coming back to bed. So when I hefted my cast into the air, to swing it onto the bed, it came off. I was mortified as it flew through the air, hit the dog who was laying at the end of the bed, fell on the floor and rolled under the bed. I sat on the edge of the bed holding my "little" leg up and screaming. ( I was terrified that if I let my leg touch anything I would get some sort of infection or hurt it in some way.) This woke my husband up. He wondered what happened and as I was crying, shaking, screaming, and holding my leg up in the air I tried to explain. Next thing I knew he was down on the floor, feeling around in the complete darkness for my cast. When, at last he found it, he shoved it back on my leg, said, "there you go," rolled over and went back to sleep. I rolled over and vomited.
Thus would begin my new life with my little leg.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sweet comments on my page. I so appreciate them. You are such a inspiration to me. Thanks for finding my blog and becoming my friend.

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration indeed.
    Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, JJ, I will be back when I tomorrow when I can read all of the parts as one. Weekends away are good, but I miss stuff here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH DEAR@! I can visualise that and am torn between chuckleing and crying
    HUGSSSSS
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...