"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, June 9, 2008

How I Met My Blog


I was thinking today about my blog and how I got to this place. Trying to remember back to the non-blog days when I was filled with angst and had no one to complain to except my husband. (He applauds the blog.)
About five years ago a friend of mine introduced me to the world of Caringbridge. It was her lifeline when her son was ill and unfortunately when he died it became her place to grieve. Following her site immersed me in the world of pediatric cancer and I became involved, maybe over involved, in many patient/family websites. I cheered with them, prayed with them, laughed with them and sometimes grieved with them. I am drawn to Caringbridge for so many reasons, but I think back to how much it would have helped me when I lost my baby boy. That was so long ago, the Internet was not yet a reality, and grieving was a very lonely, isolated thing. In many ways it still is but having an outlet may have saved me from myself. From there I became involved with The Tumbleweed Foundation and a whole new world of pediatric illnesses opened up to me...
Moving on...one of the "kids" I followed was Kendrie, her mom Kristie started her own blog after Kendrie's successful treatment for leukemia, and I have followed her for years. (Not Quite What I Had Planned,) (I don't know how to link) Then you click on other blogs and so on and so on and before you know it you are sucked into the world of blogging. I thought about my own blog for quite awhile, wondering what I would even blog about, wondering how to start, just plain wondering if anyone would care. Then I decided it didn't matter if anyone else cared, this was for me. Something for me. Well that was new, I can't remember ever doing something for myself. I always put myself at the bottom of the list of things to take care of. But the time seemed right and I decided to dive in. I thought "this is mine. I don't have to be something/someone I'm not. I can say what I want, about whatever/ whoever and if no one ever reads it that's o.k. And if someone reads it that's o.k. too, because I'm not going to make excuses for how I feel anymore. But what if someone comments??" That scared the hell out of me. I don't like being judged, I don't like feeling like "less," I don't like feeling lonely. ( a very real recurring theme in my life). I don't like being vulnerable.
It took me a long time to find my "voice" and I'm still working on just how much I want to reveal about the real me. But this has been absolutely one of the best places for me to be. It's freeing to put it out there, it's interesting to think someone else might see it, it's AMAZING to get such loving and supportive comments.
I don't know where this blog will lead me...it has become my therapy...and I have become a much better person by clicking on the links you all provide on your blogs! The world is so much bigger, and smaller, than I ever realized. And now I know I'm not alone. Thanks for filling such a huge empty space in my life!

7 comments:

  1. I think you have found your voice, and it is a grand voice. Your style and content always draws me in and compels me to read to conclusion.
    We are all happy you partake in the experience of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep what david said.... My blog started ( i have a closed blog due to the content) when my mother in law was dying and my mother was being poisoned and her identity stolen... we had an active court case appening and I needed to recall details so I blogged it... then my younger sister started my blog spot blog for me... and eventually I started opening up... someone asked me about how I got to where I am today and several more wanted to know so after talking to the people who would be involved in the telling I have started this telling of my life... It is fun and freeing and I am so glad to have you following mine and being able to follow yours!
    HUGSSSSS
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes I follow about 25 caring bridge sites and about as many care pages too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a CaringBridge person as well. I started with JuliannaBanana in Canada and went on to Katia and that was before my cancer was diagnosed. I love my CB kids/people so much. I can't even remember how I discovered blogs but it was Hallie at WWoW who encouraged/bugged me to start and I did in late Fall 2007. It was one of the best decisions of my life as I have met so many phenomenal people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also started thru reading Caringbridge. I follow quite a few children.
    I haven't quite gotten confident enough with my blog to open up, but working on it.

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey JJ--me too!!! I wonder exactly how many blogs were spawned as a result of Kristie starting a blog? HAHA! Two of my best friends--MLee and Denise--are CaringBridge people because of theirs sons' battles with leukemia, and I only wish I would have known of CaringBridge during Bill's cancer battle and death. I sure could have used it then, but I had no idea it even existed. And now I have this blog of mine, and it is SO just for me. It makes me happy, and the people who comment and who I have met through my blog make me happy. And that includes you. I agree completely with what David had to say about your blog. And it makes me happy to see that "jojo" has commented on my blog. In fact, I always give my very own little nicknames to friends; as you can tell, yours is JJ. Oh yeah, you're definitely in it clear up to your eyeballs, girl!!! BWAHAHAHAHA...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remarkable story you have told

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...