"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Middle Child

My mother was a middle child, in every sense of the word. My father, the baby. And I am the quintessential middle child, oldest daughter, only child. (what's that you say??). Let me explain. I have an older brother, John, who is seven years older than me thus making each of us "only children." We, by nature, are competitive bullies, prone to depression. My younger sister, Kathy, is six years younger than me making me somewhat of a middle child. A peacemaker, even-tempered, responsible person, naturally prone to anxiety and depression, insecurity and loneliness. Now here comes my younger brother, Scott, the baby. Who is nine years younger than me, thus making my sister a "middle child" of sorts. Oh, and just to add to the mix I am also mildly agoraphobic and quite the perfectionist. Good Lord it's no wonder I'm such a mess! All of these middle/older/only child tendencies really come to full force as the holidays draw near and we all make plans to spend time together. You would think by now, as adults, we could weave our way through this maze and have some sort of peaceful holiday moments, but ya know, I have to be in charge and keep everyone in their place, it's my born responsibility!

P.S. o.k. wait, wait just a minute. I may have figured out a simplier explanation.........i'm a redhead. Yeah that's it. I'm pretty sure that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...